The Hill of Howth Tramway was 5.19 miles in length and ran along the Howth peninsula between Howth and Sutton, using the Irish standard gauge of 5ft 3ins.
The first section (between Sutton and the Summit) was opened on the 17th June 1901, under the Great Northern Railway (Ireland) Act of 1897, with the remaining section opening on the 1st August.
The line was double-tracked throughout and set mainly on sleepers. The rolling stock consisted of ten double-deck open-top cars (Nos. 1-8 built by Brush and Nos. 9-10 by Milnes) in a livery of crimson lake and ivory.
The livery was changed in the 1930’s to Oxford blue and cream. A service of 20 minutes frequency was provided all day, with extras being operated for the summer tourist traffic and in the morning peak.
Following nationalisation of the railway system in 1953 it was announced that the line was to close, although it did not do so until 31st May 1959, by which time it was Ireland’s last working tramway.
|Peckham 14 D-5||Milnes||73|
In producing this history reference has been made to the following sources;
The Directory of British Tramways (Keith Turner, PSL 1996); Irish Trams (James Kilroy, Colourpoint 1996).