The Grimsby and Immingham Electric Railway was originally a contractors line built in 1906 to move men and materials to the Great Central Railway’s Immingham Docks site.
The line was subsequently upgraded and opened for public service on 3rd January 1910.
In its final form it ran for 7.75 miles from Immingham Docks to Immingham as a roadside tramway, where it became a street tramway.
From here it ran parallel to the Humber estuary to Pyewipe (where the depot was situated) as a single-track railway line and on to Alexandra Dock in Grimsby, via Gilbey Road and Corporation Road.
The GCR became part of the new LNER in January 1923, which subsequently became part of British Railways in 1948.
Additional tramcars were purchased from 1948 onward due to an increase in passenger traffic (3 single-deckers came from Newcastle and 19 from Gateshead), although this declined in the 1950s and several cars were withdrawn and scrapped. The line was finally closed on 1st July 1961.
Nos. 6-8 ex-Newcastle-upon-Tyne Corporation (Nos. 29, 42, 77, new 1901).
Nos. 17-33 ex-Gateshead & District Tramways (Nos. 1, 3-11, 16-18, 20 (new 1923), and Nos. 56-60 (new 1921).
In producing this history reference has been made to the following source;
The Directory of British Tramways (Keith Turner, PSL 1996).